The greatest journey you will ever take is inward
At some time or another, most highly sensitive people have been told that they need to grow thicker skin, toughen up, or quit being so sensitive, but being highly sensitive is a biological personality trait - it's something you are born with, not something you need to change. Research shows that 15-20% of the population are highly sensitive, and it's found in at least 100 animal species. Highly sensitive individuals perceive, think, and feel more deeply - making them more prone to overwhelm, anxiety and fatigue.
It's not an illness, but it can manifest in challenging ways. You might:
- Need more downtime and privacy after a busy day or stimulating situations
- Be highly intuitive, empathetic, and sensitive to your environment
- Prone to physical and emotional exhaustion, and feelings of anxiety & overwhelm
- Easily stressed (especially by conflict and chaos) and feel like you fall apart or shutdown under pressure
- Often put the needs of others first & neglect your own self-care
- Be interested in spirituality and living a life of deeper purpose & meaning
- Naturally compassionate, and thrive when you feel nurtured
As a highly sensitive person with a deep desire for adventures and personal growth, I have found that it takes a multi-faceted approach to calm the nervous system and maintain the optimal health of both body and mind.
Being sensitive is not an illness, but it manifests in many different ways which can present us with unique challenges. Over the years, I have struggled with the health of my body, mind, and emotions (think: anxiety, overthinking, insecurity, digestive issues, emotional instability, headaches, & chronic fatigue to name a few); however, I have never let it hold me back from living a big, bold life and doing the things I love (teaching yoga and meditation, being a mom, guiding others down trails as a national park ranger, and working as a clinical health coach, to name a few!)
I believe we ALL have important gifts to share with the world, whether that's on a global scale or within our own family and community, and life is too short to waste it being stuck in various states of overwhelm. If you want to experience more inner peace, self-confidence and better relationships, then join me...
I have put together a variety of resources to help support you! If you're not sure whether you are a highly sensitive person, then start by taking the quiz (above). If you want immediate support, then hop up to my free resources tab to get started right away!